Does this sound like 'hug'?

When away in Ireland for family wedding I experienced a tightness across my back, as if squeezing it or sitting badly. I took anti inflammatory meds and even though nothing seemed to touch the ache after lying down in bed, it seemed better. Now I have been back two weeks, my foot, leg and face are feeling number than usual and this ache in my back has returned with a vengeance. I have even tried hot water bottle which dulled the ache. It’s across middle of my back and feels like pressure inside. Any ideas!? Kate x

I quite often get tightness on the back, like muscle spams. This can last for days. It has… but not as often happen around the chest, rib area - which feels like a squeeze, hence the term hug. Other than a decent sleep, I have not found a method to ease the spasm when it occurs.

Thanks great to know at least that I am not missing something. Going to see gp on day off as back is still stiff with movement as if locking up which is completely different from this ache. Am lying in bed now with hot water bottle trying to ease it lol Kate x

Ha that’s best, I do notice it can trigger when I’m tired / overworked etc

Hi Kate,

See http://tinyurl.com/29zkn4

George

Thanks both I take amytriptaline at night as preventative for headaches and find that helps with nerve pain sometimes get in my right foot. Would it maybe work to relieve ache during the day? Can’t see GP til tomorrow and really getting me down now…between this and the right sided stuff, blurry right eye and all the while trying to balance full time job etc…finding it hard. Have emailed my neuro today letting him know how am feeling. Kate X

well been to the GP today as the crushing ache in my back no better. She examined my back and cannot find any muscular or evident reason for it. She said an MRI would be the best way to see what the matter is but as already waiting for repeat MRI it is best not to interfere with neuro’s plans.!! Gave me diclofenac and said if they dont help, come back. She was very understanding , sympathetic and concerned about me but she is obviously afraid to give me any meds that she feels are out of her remit!! She actually asked me what I wanted her to do about the crushing in my back!!! I wouldnt be there if i had the answers lol…think she felt as frustrated as I do…

Feeling fed up and frustrated with the whole thing!! 2 years nearly since first issue and still no resolution. Just wish they would do all the tests, look at the symptoms and tell me what it is…yes i am living in cloud cuckoo land!!! lol…

Got optician appt Saturday for double vision and see what they say and am very glad have a day off today so I can vent my frustration on the hoover!! NOT…

Hope you are all having a better day than me…rant over

Love

Kate

x

well been to the GP today as the crushing ache in my back no better. She examined my back and cannot find any muscular or evident reason for it. She said an MRI would be the best way to see what the matter is but as already waiting for repeat MRI it is best not to interfere with neuro’s plans.!! Gave me diclofenac and said if they dont help, come back. She was very understanding , sympathetic and concerned about me but she is obviously afraid to give me any meds that she feels are out of her remit!! She actually asked me what I wanted her to do about the crushing in my back!!! I wouldnt be there if i had the answers lol…think she felt as frustrated as I do…

Feeling fed up and frustrated with the whole thing!! 2 years nearly since first issue and still no resolution. Just wish they would do all the tests, look at the symptoms and tell me what it is…yes i am living in cloud cuckoo land!!! lol…

Got optician appt Saturday for double vision and see what they say and am very glad have a day off today so I can vent my frustration on the hoover!! NOT…

Hope you are all having a better day than me…rant over

Love

Kate

x

Hi Kate,

GP will only see 2 or 3 PwMS in their whole career so don’t know much about it.

Show her

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_hug_pain.htm

and http://tinyurl.com/29zkn4

George

Cant help on the pain and frustration part really other than I sympathise with you.

What I will say is diclofenac is a good med if given for the right type of pain but make sure you take it with food in your stomach,not just a biscuit.

Enjoy your day off doing nothing and refusing to feel guilty about it.

Pip

Hi,

Ive just realised that this is what has been happenning to me for the last few months!!! A tightness around the middle of my back to my ribs that just wong go and hurts when I breathe. I kept seeing ‘the hug’ and didnt click.

Little update. Had reply back from neuro saying would see me after repeat MRI which would be ‘sometime soon’!! Got home and appt in post with repeat MRI on 29th October which is fab. Diclofenac and codeine not touching back ‘ache’…loath to call it pain as can handle it just but maybe the four days off I have now will help. Wonder if they will use contrast? Cheers Kate Xxxx