Forum

Does Metal toxicity cause MS

I have had my MRI scan and been back to see consultant for a follow up, he said I have lesions in my head and spine indicative of ms, but as I have only had 1 attack they won’t diagnose ms till I have a second attack. I am due to have lumbar puncture visual test further blood tests and a chest X-ray in 2 weeks. All my problems started when I came back from holiday last June, I had been treated for urine infection which turned into a kidney infection all my problems started at that time, the only other different thing at that time was I bought a new watch not a cheap one but day after I came back of holiday I put the watch on, with in 2 weeks all my symptoms started, ? Urine infection trigger, or ? New watch possible metal toxicity, I did have pain on my wrist just like a burning sensation which settled down after a few weeks, I was sat on New Year’s Eve and suddenly remembered that I had put the watch on about the time all my symptoms started, which included ms hug, numbness throughout body, extreme fatigue tingling sensations mainly in legs and arms etc etc, anyway New Year’s Eve I took my watch off late afternoon and by evening I noticed my fatigue had pretty much gone, then I noticed my arm that I wore watch on didn’t feel heavy any more, then over the next few days my tingling started to subside still have a little here and there but no where near as bad as it was. What does everyone think x

My guess is that many of us with MS have decided views about what their smoking gun is. Being no exception, I’ll say now that mine (in my personal opinion) was an attack of shingles that affected the same parts that my first MS attack affected a few months later. Maybe I’m right. Maybe (if you turn out to have MS, which I hope you don’t) you’re right about your watch too. Neither of us will ever know. But the chances are that I will go to my grave half-convinced that the shingles was the pivot upon which my life turned, although my more rational self dismisses the idea as simplistic unscientific nonsense.

In my case it is, at worst, a harmless delusion: I couldn’t have avoided getting shingles and therefore have nothing to reproach myself with. Your case is more complex: there is the risk that you will forever be blaming yourself for not having left that damned watch alone. My advice would be to take good care to avoid falling down that rabbit hole because that way madness lies - you would never be able to prove it and no one would ever be able to prove you were wrong - a recipe for fruitless anxiety and mental disquiet. If you’ve got MS, you’ve got MS. If you do, it won’t be your fault - please remember that.

Good luck with it all.

Alison

Thank you for your reply Alison, I guess I am just trying to make sense off it all, life can certainly have some harsh twists and turns, if I eventually get the ms diagnosis then I know I will have to just deal with it and know my limits, all the very best to you x

1 Like

Hi Sharon

My first thought is no… not possible. But then I read Alison’s thoughtful reply, and reconsidered. Maybe?? Who knows?

When I did some reading about autoimmune disorders a few years ago, it explained that there seem to be a great number of elements that may come together at a certain point, and may cause a given person to develop a certain autoimmune disorder. So various elements such as gender, genetics, environment, exposure to certain chemicals & viruses and age (amongst others) could come together and cause a specific autoimmune disease, such as MS. This could maybe include exposure to certain substances too, like the metal in your watch.

So, it seems to me that absolutely anything is possible.

But, as Alison said, there is no way you or I could ever prove that the metal in your watch, or my having had exposure to X or Y caused MS. And there is absolutely no point in your feeling that you could have dodged the bullet by not wearing the watch.

Sue

1 Like