Does anyone score their pain?

I’m now in final year at vet school and we regularly pain score patients. There are trialled and trusted pain scoring sheets which we use and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are similar things for humans?

I’ve searched online and most of what I have found is very subjective and doesn’t have a scale.

I’d like to keep track of my pain so that I can see if baclofen and the other meds I take are working. It’s hard to tell to be honest.

I found something for fibromyalgia but it was still too general.

If anyone has any hints or suggestions I’d be interested to know, thanks xx

Hi,I first used a Pain Score system four years ago when I was part of a trial to see if Spinal Cord Stimulation helped with pain in MS club members.My pain is Neuropathic and at the time was mainly in the soles of my feet.I had to keep records of the pain level and the settings on the ‘Button Box’ that was connected to the implants in my spine.

I’ve found a sheet which wasn’t one of the daily sheets,but might be what you’re after…Printed on the sheet is

Source: Pain Research Group Department of Neurology University of Wisconsin-Madison

Used with permission,may be duplicated and used in clinical practice.

Dunno if you can find the sheet on line,but if you upset the CIA,you don’t know me.How do you pain score animals?

Be lucky,

Wb

ps If you can’t access it,PM me and I’m sure we can sort something out

Thank you, have sent a PM.

For animals we use the Glasgow Composite scale. Some of the drug companies have their own scale also. They are used post surgery.

Colorado do a pain scoring sheet also. It all depends on the vet or hospital preference

Hi, here`s my method of scoring pain;

ooh, that`s a bit sore

aaahhh, that hurts

**** now that does hurt!

Sorry to be cheeky, but couldn`t help it.

pollxx

l was thinking on the same lines as Poll - apart from ‘Ouch!’ - and Oh! Sh!t - but as someone who has always had lots of dogs/cats/horses/ducks/hens/ferrets/goats - what l have noticed is that some are ‘cry babies’ will make lots of fuss - whereas others do seem to be quite stoic and just get on with it without making any fuss. We had a race-horse who only had to slightly knock his leg and he would act as if he had broken it - putting us all in a panic and calling out the vet.A real Prima Donna. The trusty old cobs seem to be oblivious to knocks and grazes. My friends westies - both will not let anyone trim their coats or nails - and as for taking to the vets she has to sedate them just to get a muzzle on. Whereas my rotties will let the vet do anything. ln fact the last time l went was for Reggie to have his stitches out after being castrated and the stitches from the removal of his dreadful dewclaws.As l was not so good on my legs - l asked the young nurse to come out to the car - Reggie was in the back - and he sat as good as gold just ‘kissing’ the young nurse whilst she took out the stitches. Sadly, dogs seem to associate physical pain with being chastised. And they think they have done something wrong. We have a elderly New Forest pony - whose knobbly old knees look very arthritic - and he totters about but then surprises everyone by galloping around the field chasing the others. He is 43 yrs young. We put Devil’s Claw//Apple Cider Vinegar and Flaxseed Oil in his food.

People have different pain thresholds. Men - for some reason - make more of a fuss -usually - then most women. My family/friends think l am a ‘tough old boot’ so they know when l say l am in a lot of pain they know it is serious.Some people, at the first sign of a cold/flu take to their beds. l have never understood this - nobody gets better staying in bed. Recently, l had a hip replacement op. l was in a small ward with four very elderly ladies. We were all got up and encouraged to stand and take a few steps around the ward as soon as we had come round from the anesthetic. At 65 - l was by far the youngest.- These lovely old dears certainly spurred me on to keep exercising and walking. All up and dressed first thing in the morning -no stopping in bed for them.

So l do not see how you can score pain - except to say ‘its worse today’ or ‘nots so bad’ or ‘could be better’ but then ‘could be worse.’

I usually just do it out of 10. 10 being the worst possible pain.

I’ve been wondering if it would be useful to track it. I already keep a mini diary where I note down what body part hurt and for how long. I don’t want to become obsessed though :frowning:

I found out that there is an app for pain scoring/pain diary type thing but don’t know much about it.

I agree, animals are tough! We score them following an anaesthetic and it’s based on things like observing from a distance and is the animal breathing alright, are they crying, whining etc, when you touch the surgical incision site do they react in any way? Lots of things are checked.

Everything I’ve found for people is so vague.

Hi again.

Just wondering…please dont take offence at this but…do you think keeping a pain diary will magnify your situation?

Just an idea.

pollxx

Boudica yes and this is why I’d like a quick form to fill out when I’m in major pain.

I’ve found it difficult to get GPs to believe me and the effect that the pain is having on me. I don’t want to become obsessed, but if I have a system I stick to and just say that my neck is 9 out of 10 today etc or something simple then I can work out if my pills are having an effect.

I’m trying to maintain a good state of mind but it’s hard when my body decides that something else is about to start hurting.