Do you think I'm right?

I’m going for an MRI on Monday, not for MS but a trapped nerve ( that’s what the doc thinks)…however I think it’s MS because of the length of time I’ve had the numbness in my left foot, side of my leg and my buttocks. This has been going on for 9 weeks now and is getting worse. My genitals and bottom ( sorry if TMI) are also numb which as you can imagine isn’t a great thing. My legs go from feeling like they are fire to iced water thrown on them as well as tender to touch. They jump and twitch as do my hands at times. I get shooting pains like pins being stuck in my thumbs. I have had eye pain behind my left eye too.

i have noticed ( so has my daughter and some work colleagues) that I frequently forget words …even though in my head I can hear the word perfectly.

Im really not enjoying all these symptoms.

Hi Kizzybeads

Unfortunately, many symptoms that look like MS are not. Equally, some symptoms that don’t look like MS in fact are.

That’s one of the worst things about not feeling as though you have been correctly diagnosed but suspect MS. MS is one of those irritating disorders that has so many potential symptoms, many of which are shared with other diagnoses.

Unfortunately, you’ll just have to wait for the MRI scan and see what shows up. Have you been referred to a neurologist who thinks it’s a trapped nerve or is it your GP who’s ordered the MRI?

If it’s your GP, if this MRI doesn’t clearly show a trapped nerve, then ask for a referral to a neurologist. If you’re already seeing a neurologist, then again, if the MRI doesn’t show a trapped nerve, ask him/her for an opinion about possible MS and if necessary, a further MRI with contrast to see if there are any MS type lesions in your brain and spine. Or of course whether the neurologist thinks there might be another answer to your symptoms.

Good luck for Monday.

Sue

Thank you for your reply.

My GP recommended the MRI. A neurologist hasn’t been mentioned but I will take your advice dependant on the results.

I know MS is hard to diagnose and of course I’m hoping my thoughts are wrong.

Hi. I get the thumb thing too, weird isn’t it and painful. I haven’t been diagnosed with anything yet, only at the start of my journey with blood test, I have lots of symptoms and now my hair is falling out, not a symprom of MS I don’t think, I am not convinced it’s MS but I’ll be very interested in your outcome. Good luck with it all. Xx

MRI results showed no bulging disc as first thought by my doc. I’m going to make another appointment to ask to referred to a neurologist. I’m twitching more, both legs and occasionally my right arm. Stabbing pains in various places as well as extreme fatigue even after a good nights sleep…my boyfriend has witnessed my twitching legs even as I sleep…no wonder I wake up with aching legs and the feeling I’ve been running!

Another appointment… Blood tests booked and referred to a neurologist for a brain MRI

Glad you`ve got that referral going.

Summat`s obviously wrong and I hope the neuro finds out and any treatment is effective.

look after yourself.

luv Pollx

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve got the referral to a neurologist. It’s a shame your GP didn’t do that in the first place!

Best of luck with the next stage of testing.

Sue

Thanks everyone xxx

bloods came back…cholesterol a bit high…ESR needs to be repeated in two weeks as high.

feeling extremely tired today, legs going mad with altered sensations, hands and fingers very prickly and sore. My neck was sparking with shooting pains yesterday but just sore today. Left eye hurts but I have a headache so that doesn’t help.

If you have raised ESR you will need to have repeated blood tests. This could be an indication of an inflammatory response going on, so you should be going to rheumy first IMHO.

Just got the appointment for my next MRI …january!

I don’t feel like I have anything inflammatory going on…the only heat is from my burning sensations in my legs and feet.

For the past four or five nights I have been unable to get a full nights sleep. I wake up with a major headache, dry mouth and sore throat. I wake myself up with a huge snore. I’m typing this at 4.45am and I’ve been awake most of the night. Is this sleep apnea and is it related to ms?

For the past four or five nights I have been unable to get a full nights sleep. I wake up with a major headache, dry mouth and sore throat. I wake myself up with a huge snore. I’m typing this at 4.45am and I’ve been awake most of the night. Is this sleep apnea and is it related to ms?

[quote=“Kizzybeads”]

[/quote] Sleep apoena can be from a lot of things but not MS as far as I know. On the basis of ruling out the main likely causes first - are you overweight? Have you put on a lot of weight recently? have you a short/thick neck? have you had illnesses involving your nasal area/mouth/soft palate?

1 Like

I’ve been investigated for sleep apoena in the past. I was grossly overweight and this interfered with my breathing when sleeping. It didn’t stop me sleeping - quite the opposite, I had all the signs of chronic sleep deprivation even though I thought I had been asleep for hours and hours! You are essentially stopping breathing and depriv8ng your brain of oxygen. It’s a very VERY serious condition.

I am overweight but as for a recent gain- quite the opposite. I’ve lost just over a stone and a half. I’m absolutely knackered this morning!

Eventually I wasn’t diagnosed with full blown SA and my problems were solved after losing a shed load of weight. Chronic/full blown SA is very serious and dangerous. Treatment is not fun (oxygen masks when you sleep) and you will lose your driving licence if diagnosed. If you think the DVLA take a diagnosis of MS seriously that is NOTHING compared to SA!!!

[quote=“Kizzybeads”]

I am overweight but as for a recent gain- quite the opposite. I’ve lost just over a stone and a half. I’m absolutely knackered this morning!

[/quote] So. Having (probably) ruled out cause number 1 for SA have you got a throat/nasal infection at the moment? Something that interferes with your breathing even a little bit can cause you to snore and having to keep your mouth open when sleeping causes a dry throat etc.

I would repeat though that what you have described is NOT consistent with SA in 1 important thing - SA does not keep you awake/wake you up. You get LOADS of sleep. It’s just absolutely RUBBISH sleep! If this problem persists you should go to see your GP.

You could have polyps in your throat or adenoidal problems etc etc. Not necessarily SA but they could interfere with air flow when sleeping. Equally, it could be just that because you are worried about your health and/or you have discomfort from trapped nerves this has played hob with your sleep. In any event go to see your GP.