Dilemma

I had an abusive childhood.

The abuser (close relative) is still alive, I have nothing to do with this person.

My sister who didn’t have the same childhood experience, thinks the world of this person and she will be horrified if i tell her my ‘story.’

However my past is becoming increasingly burdensome I feel the need to share my experience with her.

As it will distress her should I keep quiet?

Hi anon

I’m so sorry to hear about your childhood, it’s heartbreaking whenever I hear stories of this kind of thing. To be honest, I’m at a loss as to whether or not to speak to your sister. But if you need to talk, would it help to seek professional help, like a therapist of counsellor?

Dan

i agree with Dan, speak to a professional because they will likely have had experience of dealing with similar situations. hopefully they will be able to explain your options and help you to move forward. wishing you the outcome that you need. carole x

I third their advice, get professional help and find some peace that way. Telling your sister won’t help her, and I doubt very much it will help you much either. Juls

Thanks. I have had counselling which helped. I feel it would help me if I told my sister because I’m living a lie inasmuch as I’m pretending everything was o.k. in the family when I was growing up whereas in reality it was horrendous. My sister is 13 years younger than me - we’re close and I think she would be supportive. My counsellor agreed that telling her would help me but it would distress her.