Forum

Could I have stopped it?

Hi everyone I am really asking if there was anything I could have done differently with my life to have not now a diagnosis of ms. Also as there is not history in my family and now obviously with myself being diagnosised is there anyway to protect my children who are all very young from developing ms. Any thoughts woud be gratefully received. xxx

Hi Hopefull, from what I’ve read and listened to from MSS and MSTrust Youtube videos, no, I don’t think there’s anything you could have done differently. As for your kiddies, being a mum myself (though not yet diagnosed) I can empathise. Vitamin D! Make sure they play outside when possible. Again from what I’ve researched, there’s only a very slim chance anyway so its most likely they’ll be alright…but they’ll have the advantage of understanding what ms is. Have you found that blig by a single mum with ms called ‘Stumbling in Flats’? Look it up, it might help you :heart:

Hi Hopefull,

No, not at all. NICE guidelines actually say neuros are supposed to make this clear, so diagnosed patients don’t go through exactly the kind of unnecessary angst you are now putting yourself through. A shame too few of them seem to bother.

MS is not a lifestyle disease. Although we still don’t know the causes, we know it has to be a complex mix of genetic and environmental factors. It’s unlikely that changing any one thing (even if it was in your power to change - which most environmental factors aren’t) would have made the difference between getting MS, and not getting it.

It’s like asking if you could have done anything to pick better lottery numbers. Short answer: No!

Tina

x

Hi Hopeful,

I actually asked several doctors about the genetic links as there are other auto-immune diseases (but no MS) in my family and my sister is currently trying to have a baby. All of them said that if there is a genetic link, they haven’t found it (meanwhile, it seems to be more common if you have a family member with MS - they seem to be completely in the dark on this one, as Tina says, it’s just more complex than finding one specific gene). All the doctors (including the neurologists) said the risks for the next generation are minimal.

You also have to bear in mind that research is moving quite quickly at the moment, so if we are all very lucky, IF (and that’s a very big IF) your kids should ever develop MS, it’s likely to be so treatable that they may only ever have one episode. I recently read the opening lecture from the World MS Conference earlier this month and it said that 60 years ago, they had no way to treat MS, 30 years ago a bit more, but not much, and today they can treat it very well, so imagine what bmay be going on when your kids are 30. Of course, they’re going to celebrate themselves a little at such an event, but a lot seems to be going on research-wise.

I know you’re going to be afraid for them anyway, but I’m sure your kids will be fine.

As far as lifestyle choices go, everything I’ve read completely confirms what Tina says.

Best,

mj