Forum

Congratulations? Commiserations? Which?

OK, so some people find out they have MS.  Or find they have a partial result, say an MRI result. Or find out they have something else, but whatever it is, they KNOW.

Do you congratulate them?  Or commiserate? I never quite know which!

I'd LOVE to find out what's wrong with me!  A Dx of ANYTHING would indicate that there really was something wrong with me, that I was right all along and not imagining things.  What you call it makes no difference to what I have.  

I find this really difficult when answering posts!

Here here! I was a mad keen runner so when people ask me how its going I never know what to say …I can’t run because I got …? What have I got…its so frustrating but I do dread being told its ms and try and convince myself that I am imagining my symptoms …I try and go for a run but then my legs burn and my right foot for a numb … Yes to be told something …I think comiserations and congratulations are required xx

Here here! I was a mad keen runner so when people ask me how its going I never know what to say …I can’t run because I got …? What have I got…its so frustrating but I do dread being told its ms and try and convince myself that I am imagining my symptoms …I try and go for a run but then my legs burn and my right foot for a numb … Yes to be told something …I think comiserations and congratulations are required xx

Hi ya

I never know which one it is either so I usually say both - congratulations & commiserations. After going through the 'not knowing' stage, which as we all know is awful, I think most people are glad to find out what it is. On the hand no one wants ms...or any other illness come to that, and so coming to terms with it can also be very difficult. I think it's a double edged sword.

Debbie xx

...Blast!

I meant to say 'on the other hand'.....I always miss something out..Sorry!

Debbie xx

Hi
Yes it is annoying, when people say whats wrong, im like ummm possible neurological disorder lol. Then u have to explain symptoms? I really want to be given a name for whats wrong, just to set it straight in my mind, n then i can tell other people wat it is. As at the mo i feel a fraud sayin i might have MS. I keep thinkin il wake up tomo n il b fine, n the consultant wil say nothings wrong. Lol if only…
V
xx

Hi

Both.. Commiserations on the dx and congratulaion on finding a great group of friends on this site and being able to plan for the new you.

This is how I dealt with it.

I also got congratulations from other people on getting a blue badge and DLA. Not sure if that should have been commiserations.

All the best

Neil

I have just had the diagnosis today (17/11/11)and have been a mad keen runner as well until March this year, clocking 7 minute miling over 10 mile race! Been in Limbo till today but all the family now know. Have to break it to my running friends at the club. The fact that I will probably never run again at that pace I will live with but a side of me dies with the knowledge

Hi, only me again. Back at home when I thought I could cope with telling those who need to know at work (i.e. my fellow colleagues in the office who have supported me for the last two years). I broke down in tears on saying I had MS and they decided I was not ready to carry on at work post diagnosis for a few more days. Some people are more supportive than you can imagine sometimes thumbsup

My children and wife are the best medicine though.

I do not have it as bad as a lot of people on this forum mainly I think because with being heavily involved in sport (competitor) and in Healthcare (tutoring) so know the right people to badger, or in my case to frog march me to A&E and told to accept help! blush

Ahhh don't get upset. you are so lucky you have such a loving family.

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed but at least its good that you know whats going on now! I am still in limbo land at the moment!!

xx

Hi Kim and all,

im so glad i just read this post. I was about to write one saying 'am i mad i feel like i want a diagnosis of ms just so i know what is wrong'.Then i read what you wrote and i know the feeling completely. just today a lady from work phoned and asked if i thoguht i might be depressed, having been depressed after my parents died i know what that is like, and its not this. Its so frustrating. Especially once people know you have been depressed before they just assume it must be that again, even my sister im sure thinks its just me making a fuss because im depressed. I am so sick of not knowing whats wrong, i just want to be able to know what im dealing with and start some sort of treatment. Went to the GP today he didnt know anything about it and spent most of the appointment desperately trying to read my notes to catch up, till i told him not to worry i would just wait till i saw the neuro in Jan, but it seems like ages to wait. Sorry if im sounding very self pitying but i dont know who else i can share all this with.

Sarah

It helped me to know, even though I'd convinced myself I'd got GBS before I went in to the neurologist.  It was therefore good/bad to hear the news, but overall good to have something to focus on.

So in answer to the question - I think the right response is probably "pisser, but at least you know" or something similar a bit more delicately put.

To all you runners out there, as a previous keen runner I TOTALLY get what you're experiencing. Quite a number of years ago now I came within 12 secs of my life goal of 1hr for a 10 mile road race, but then my achilles tendons gave in bigtime.  More recently when I got the MS symptoms it hammered back my current feeble jogging efforts equally badly.  Now as a result I get just as much pleasure from a walk as I used to from a run, as I'm just so thankful to have the mobility I've got.  So what I'm saying is - it could just as well have been a running injury that stopped your running career as MS.  I do hope you get back as much of your previous ability as you can though, and that you can still enjoy it just as much.

Best wishes,

Mr Sensible