confused

I have recently been diagnosed with ms i had a 6th nerve palsy 6 years ago until a few months ago i was fine then all the symptoms came back altough they cleared up quickly my consultant confirmed what i expected im just unsure where to go i have had a stressful year is 6 yeara a long time for a relapse a really dont know

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed less than a year ago, so i cannot answer your question about the timescale.

There are many people on here with lots of experience, kind words and great advice, so you have come to the right place for help.

I personally found reading comments on this site, helped me learn about the condition and how to deal with it.

Its a shock at first but then you start to realise things could be worse, although u wont feel like that now but you will.

MS can make life harder but we still have a life that can still be fulfilling.

You have probably read about lots of symptoms that you will probably never get. It varies so much from person to person.

Anyway, I am rambling and not really offering much advice (I’m a little tired) but just wanted to say hello.

Clare x

Hi Steve, I am not diagnosed yet and am in Limbo like Clare said its handy to read comments you learn a lot and don’t be afraid to ask there are some people on here that are so very helpful and kind. I have had symptoms of pins and needles numbness, and I am now recovery from 6th nerve palsy you are only the second person I have found have it. It’s making me feel rotten at the monent eyes slower and still have double vision. Could you help me with how you recovered from this as I can’t see an end I am on week 8 now. I hope you find some reasurrance and answers here. Kirsty x

Hi Steve, I am not diagnosed yet and am in Limbo like Clare said its handy to read comments you learn a lot and don’t be afraid to ask there are some people on here that are so very helpful and kind. I have had symptoms of pins and needles numbness, and I am now recovery from 6th nerve palsy you are only the second person I have found have it. It’s making me feel rotten at the monent eyes slower and still have double vision. Could you help me with how you recovered from this as I can’t see an end I am on week 8 now. I hope you find some reasurrance and answers here. Kirsty x

Hello Steve, I can make that three of us with 6th nerve palsy. It’s a bit pants isn’t it and I completely sympathise with you and Kirsty. I’m sorry to hear your diagnosis - are you doing ok? I am not sure about the length between relapses - the only thing my neurologist said was that the first few relapses set the pattern for your MS (so hopefully yours might be few and far between?)

Kirsty, I am at similar timescales to you (started 17th June) and I am recovering quickly. It took two weeks to get to its worst (went from a 12 to a 35 prism) but it improved very quickly over a three week period so I can now see with both eyes again. My vision is about 90-95% back but my right eye moves in a more jerky fashion than the left, although this is not noticeable to others. When I ended up on the 34 prism I gave up on that and just used blenderm on my glasses. I do find I get tired very easily still.

I completely understand your frustrations with it - I got very fed up and quite angry with it at times. I actually stamped my foot in frustration with it like a two year old at one point! At least you’re on the road to recovery though. Keep strong :wink:

Hello Steve, I can make that three of us with 6th nerve palsy. It’s a bit pants isn’t it and I completely sympathise with you and Kirsty. I’m sorry to hear your diagnosis - are you doing ok? I am not sure about the length between relapses - the only thing my neurologist said was that the first few relapses set the pattern for your MS (so hopefully yours might be few and far between?)

Kirsty, I am at similar timescales to you (started 17th June) and I am recovering quickly. It took two weeks to get to its worst (went from a 12 to a 35 prism) but it improved very quickly over a three week period so I can now see with both eyes again. My vision is about 90-95% back but my right eye moves in a more jerky fashion than the left, although this is not noticeable to others. When I ended up on the 34 prism I gave up on that and just used blenderm on my glasses. I do find I get tired very easily still.

I completely understand your frustrations with it - I got very fed up and quite angry with it at times. I actually stamped my foot in frustration with it like a two year old at one point! At least you’re on the road to recovery though. Keep strong :wink:

Hi Steve, and welcome to the site

I had my first attack when I was 19, but it was very brief and I didn’t go to the doctor’s. My next attack was about 4 or 5 years later and, again, I didn’t go to the doctor’s, writing it off as a virus or something. The next definite thing was about 8 years after that. That time I did go to the GP’s and, about 15 months later, I was diagnosed with RRMS. The moral of the story?: the time between relapses can be very long.

They used to say that it was a good sign to have a long gap between early attacks, but I think they are more inclined to say that it’s not such a good predictor these days as MS is just too unpredictable, e.g. I had those long gaps in the early years (and after that), but I’ve also had years with back to back relapses. That’s not to say that you’ll have the same pattern of attacks: we are all very different.

With any luck your next attack will be at least another 6 years!

Karen x

Thanks for your reply about 6th nerve palsy, I am not yet dx and all I keep getting told is be patient I have normally no need for glasses and was given steroids which helped the eye move again but that’s it no other help no prisms etc!!! Maybe that’s why I am so cheesed ( sorry Steve for taking over your thread) am at gp this arvo am gonna demand a referral ASAP!! I just keep seeing by head turn as my left eye is fine, when I am tired I patch my right as it too is jerky lol Kirsty x