Come Fly with me

Greetings,and may your day get better and be more fun.As promised/threatened here’s the account of my adventure in a light aircraft.

My entry into the Piper Cherokee was the least elegant ever performed.Everybody was glad I wasn’t wearing a kilt,and it was the most awkward thing I’ve HAD to do for years,but spurred on by brutish force and plenty of ignorance I made it.For some reason the very cosy four seat cockpit reminded me of a Morris Minor.

Adam,our pilot was talking constantly to Air Traffic Control and then we were on the runway,he put his foot down and we were airborne and heading up the Mersey.Some may say it is the best way to see Birkenhead.We were heading North and gaining altitude in a series of ‘steps’.Soon we were over Lancashire en route to Kendal in the Lake District.

I wanted to know if the reduction in Atmospheric Pressure had any beneficial effects on me.At 6,000 feet I noticed a change in the constant neuropathetic pain in my feet.I was pretty scrunched up in the back with my good friend Carol and her 18 year old lad Casey was flying the plane under the watchful eye of Adam.I couldn’t really move my legs,but there was something good happening and this continued right up to 8,790 feet about 6 miles south of Kendal.We had broken through the clouds and couldn’t see the ground but it was still the best tuesday afternoon,probably ever.

Adam performed a brisk right hand U turn and we began our gradual descent back to John Lennon Airport.As we descended my feet resumed their usual nastiness and my pulse slowed back down having picked up due to the thinning oxygen.I was more aware of this than the others most likely because my aerobic fitness levels are non existant.All too soon Adam had skillfully woven through the busy air space and we were taxiing back through the dozens of light aircraft. My egress from the plane was no more elegant than the entry as I slid down the wing back into the wheelchair.

I hadn’t felt at all air-sick,but made up for it once back in the office.Sick bags are all part of the service and for 3-4 minutes I decorated the inside of one.Have you got any idea why this happened? All I can think is that there was short circuitig between my inner ear and god knows where.

Like all experiments, conclusions have to be drawn. The reduction in air pressure was roughly 360 millibars at maximum altitude from 1030 at sea level,and something did happen to the pain in my feet.The flight had taken 90 minutes,so apart from an Alpine holiday can you think of a way I can spend a few hours at 6,000 feet or there abouts? Answers on a bundle of tenners to the usual address. I did sleep better than usual but that could have been due to the cabaret of gettig in+out.

There should be some awesome photographs,and what a way to spend mobility money,

Chocks away,

Squadron leader Spewy

wow! you made it sound so good.

never mind the less than elegant getting in and out.

you should see me making a pigs ear of getting in and out of my kia.

makes me wonder about altitude, would be interested in what a neuro would make of it.

and for your next adventure???

carole x

Hi Carole,I had thought of falling out of a plane strapped to an 18 stone ex-Paratrooper,but I’d probably need a lot of sick bags.

I know why alitude affects me…I’ve bad Stenosises in my Jugular veins, so anything vaso-dilatory helps blood flow.My neurotic denies that they have anything to do with anything and if I wrote to him I’d be a pensioner before he replied.

Be lucky,

Wb xx

Wb, l had my ‘jugulars’ checked - ultra-sound - by a local radiologist. He discovered that my blood flow was restricted in right side - and blocked when looking to the right. He would have liked to have done the ‘treatment’ but was prevented by hospital politics. lf l did not have MS -it would have been done as a routine cardiology treatment. SO - with the results you achieved from your biggles experiment - would your GP refer you for another ultra-sound. lt might be worth stamping your [painful] feet and seeing where it gets you.

Alternatively, could you convert your ‘bug’ into a micro-light. Like a transformer toy. Take a bit more then sticky back plastic and balsa wood. Did see -on tv - a lady in her wheelchair going scuba diving. lt had ‘flipper’ type wings.

ls it a bird

ls it a plane

NO lts WoblyBoy

Glad you enjoyed your flight.

If anybody else fancies it, then you need to check out the Aerobility website. We have a fleet of light aircraft, dedicated to disabled aviation. Trial lesson (30 - 45 minutes ish) costs £60, which is cheap - and for that you don’t sit in the back with your feet scrunched up around your ears, you get to sit in the front left hand seat and actually fly the aeroplane.

My letter published in the current issue of MS Matters tells you more…

Cheers

Emrys

Wow woblyboy - what an adventure. If I had realised you would be in the sky practically over my house I’d have sat on my patio and saluted you as you did a fly past! Chocks away! good on you - what you doing for your next trick? xx

Thanks for all the comments…Emrys that is good info,and because I want to spend more time at altitude maybe Aerobility could be the way to do it.I’d love to have a few other Stenosis peeps and a scientist with a crayon and some clout to let the medics know what happens.

spacejacket, the drug industry has shut down everywhere where fixing Stenosises for MS peeps was the goal.I reckon they are frightened that somebody may find a relatively cheap and easy solution for some of us.If I ever come across a decent bundle of money WE WILL provide the guinea spigs (I know, but I like it) and shove the Liberation theory right up…It does not work for everybody,but what they forget is that if some people get relief, that has a huge effect on them and their family,friends etc.My GP works for the PCT,so all he’s fit for is writing scripts for whatever I suggest.

As for flying,a big rocket gaffer-taped to a wheelchair would be excellent for a one way trip.Would need a giant milk bottle and a lot of blue paper.Stans mum,keep your eyes open for a ‘Vomit Comet’ one night.I’m thinking of a Splash Down in something a tad bigger than a bucket.A paddling pool may suffice,or have I got the decimal point in the wrong place again

The *ocket man xx

Just to finish my science project,I slept well the night after the flight,which means more than two hours at a time.The following day I was pretty perky and the pain was as good as it gets.I am amazed that I had no ‘proper’ aches and pains which is amazing considering the contortions I did to perform to get in’n’out of the plane.It’s been a while since I took the skin off my knees with my shoes on.

It saddens me that I believe there were good effects from the flight,but there’s virtually no chance of taking my ‘research’ any further.

Biggles, signing off

Well Wb what can I say, I was up there with you for a while, your explanations were almost understandable to me (being a bear with very little brain) and having no aeronautical knowledge oh and I have visited Kendal and imagine the views were astounding.

Have you ever visited and MS therapy centre? I am wondering if a stint in a hypobaric oxygen chamber may help your feet?

Wendy x

Hi Wendy,it was my ‘post chamber’ experiences that made me want to be in reduced atmospheric pressure.I was completely knackered the day after each time I had it.The pressure is about a fifth more than atmos’ and that is vaso-constrictive,and with the state of the veins in my neck…not so good! The pressure at altitudes like we went to are well below those at ground level.

I need to borrow an Alpine villa for a week or two to continue my research.How are you fixed?

Wb xx

HI Wb, I’m sorry to read that your experinces with hyperbaric chamber did not go so well but That Alpine villa sounds good! Personally have found that holidays with lots of sunshine and air conditioning do me more good than some of the treatments for MS I’ve received.

Wendy x

An Alpine Chalet - what a dream - you and Heidi and the goats. Melting cheese in front of the open range and spreading it on home-made bread. You could learn to yoddel. lts all possible Wb - Look for a alpine dating agency. Think what fun you would have in the winter on one of those ‘skiddoos’ or a horse-drawn sleigh.

Edelweiss edelweiss

Hi,

I think it was a Pyper Cherokee my brother used to fly, along with a Tiger Moth. I went up in the Pyper a couple of times, a really memorable experience. I never got around to going up in the Tiger moth ( it was nothing to do with the crack in the crankcase!). Sadly he passed away a number of years ago. I think the opportunity to go up in the Tiger Moth was one that I shouldn’t have missed.

I enjoy sailing with Belfast Lough Sailability, I didn’t enjoy feeding the seagulls though… that time we were out in the Hawk 20 It was Force 4 !!. I’ve regained my confidence of being in the Hawk as the last time there was a nice gentle breeze!

Fair Weather Sailor

Jonny

Wow, spacejack you remember Heidi sausage and the kids.I like the idea of melting in front of the fire and being spread on an Alpine Beauty.I’ve already started yodelling in a limited way,but must learn to forego the sick bag and put some real effort in.The winter would be play time,but would the Motability cough up a Skiddoo for me to pick up the Winter Fuel Allowance? I like your thinking!

Hello Jonny,that’s sad about your Brother, and the Tiger Moth would have been the full fat experience.The seagulls are always grateful,and one time in a sudden squall aboard a small two berth thingy about 20 years ago there was much gratitude.That was scary,but guessing that Sailability involves modified craft, a 4 would definitely focus the mind.Fair weather or foul that has to be an exhilarating pastime.

Thanks both for the replies,all ideas welcome

Wb

Congrats to you Wb, it is a great feeling I was given a flying lesson on one of my birthday and it was a great feeling so well done you.

Group Captain Biggles aka Graf

Hello Group Captain,good to see you…Been a while.If you know of any chalets going for a yodel, tell all.Have you heard anything about our club members doing better at altitude. I hope you and yours are well and we could do with an update on Heidi and the Kids.Lots of new customers who have never met the gang.

Squadron Bleeder Wb

[quote=“spacejacket”]

An Alpine Chalet - what a dream - you and Heidi and the goats. Melting cheese in front of the open range and spreading it on home-made bread. You could learn to yoddel. lts all possible Wb - Look for a alpine dating agency. Think what fun you would have in the winter on one of those ‘skiddoos’ or a horse-drawn sleigh.

Edelweiss edelweiss

[/quote] Since posting this to you l see you have been upstaged by Graf1 who already has own ‘Heidi’!!! - there must be more then one. Ask him how the snowy heights suit him.

[quote=“spacejacket”]

Edelweiss edelweiss

[/quote] Since posting this to you l see you have been upstaged by Graf1 who already has own ‘Heidi’!!! - there must be more then one. Ask him how the snowy heights suit him.