Chemo to treat ms?? Question for Karen (Rizzo) perhaps.

Hi,

This is a question maybe for Rizzo ( Karen ) . An aquaintance of mine who has ms says she has chemo to treat hers. I’ve never heard of this and thought it was only used to treat cancers.

Has anyone heard of this and is it possible that chemotherapy is used to treat ms?

Thanks

Mitoxantrone is one of many chemo-drugs used for MS; see http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/Novantrone.html

George

Yes. My brother who also has ms has had chemo. There are all different types of chemo. My sister has lupus and she also has had chemo. In my brothers case it was very successful.

Mary

I was treated with Mitoxantrone in 2007.

A friend of mine with Fibromyalgia has a friend in the states who has had chemo for her MS. I believe it is not uncommon out there.

Wendy x

If your friend’s in the UK, it’s probably mitox, as George and Annie have already said, although Campath (alemtuzumab / Lemtrada) is another possibility. The basic idea is that chemo gives the immune system a chance to “reboot”.

A lot of people seem to think that all DMDs are chemo, but they aren’t!

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/chemotherapy.jsp

Karen x

Hi.

I have had two courses of Alemtuzumab (Campath) infusions in 2011 and 2012. So far…so good! Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it.

Jo

As others have said the most usual chemos used in MS are Mitoxantrone and Alemtuzumab (Campath).

But there was briefly another chemo available that I was treated with which was Cladribine. It was only on the market in Australia and Russia but the drug company pulled it off the market after less than a year because it didn’t get approval from the EU or the FDA. Shame really because it has been the only treatment that slowed the MS down in my case.

It worked by reducing the number of lymphocytes in the blood and permanently altering the DNA in the T-cells so they can’t cross the blood brain barrier. You could only have two treatments over two years in a lifetime but that was supposed to be enough to dramatically reduce the relapse rate. I only had one treatment because the drug was pulled from market but I have only had one relapse in over a year since then compared to an average of 7-8 relapses per year in the 2 years prior to having the chemo. Fingers crossed it keeps working…

Cheers,

Belinda