Chance of both legs being affected

If one leg gets dodgy, does it follow that sooner or later the other is likely to go the same way?

Hi

We are all different, in my case it is my right leg mobility, which is effected with heavy movement and drop foot, my left leg aches at times also has weird sensations. But mobility has not been effected yet in my left leg, very glad to say.

I was diagnosed with PPMS in 2003.

Hope this is of help.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor, today is such a day.

Well, sorry to say, but my right leg copied my left leg`s problems a few months after.

But do you know about FES? This is a mobility aid which many folk use and love. It keeps them mobile.

Too late for me tho, as you have to have some mobility to qualify...oh and then it depends where you live too, Im afraid.

Why not enquire about it eh? Physio/rehab dept would be best option to try first.

luv POllx

Hi,

No inevitability about it, no. It just depends where the lesions form (which is random).

It tends to be more common for a spinal cord lesion to affect both legs (because it’s a narrow channel everything has to pass through, so less chance of signals managing to bypass the damage). But not all lesions are perfectly symmetrical, so it’s still possible to affect one side more than the other.

Both legs are definitely affected with me, albeit not too badly (in my opinion). I know I have, or had, a lesion at chest level, found at diagnosis. So I’m not surprised to be experiencing “some” effects from that. Only relieved they’re not worse.

Tina

Thanks, FES looks interesting. At present my foot doesnt drop, more a case of the knee just giving way which isnt too bad whilst I can count on the other leg, which is fine, and a stick. Worried about it spreading to the other leg though.