Caught early

Caught early. That’s what my doctor said, can MS be caught early? Had MRI early Aug and went back for results on the 13th Aug to b told there is small (sorry can’t remember the technical term) on the brain which leads him to think its ms, but it has been caught early but want to do more tests. Had lumber puncture ( anyone who is waiting to have LP done its not the greatest procedure, but it’s bearable, very weird feeling, but they explain everything or if ur like me I told them not to). So waiting on results from that on the 26th sept. Hadnumbness in toes a year ago when running so thought ok not a natural runner I will give up and do something else. This July toes went numb while walking then whole left side went numb. So that’s when the MS ball started rolling. Very scared at first wit lots of crying but I have pulled myself up and some days I forget about it. I have a slight limp but apart from that I look and feel ok. Yesterday I did trip over a wheel chair ramp how ironic haha. I’m a single mother so I do worry for my child but I have alot of family support.

I have too been told that I have ‘early MS’ This site is great for support and information. I would also contact your local MS Society, they have socials and are a mine of local information, I 'm going ten pin bowling with my group tomo! Also positive to see that although most people have good and bad days, they all get on with their lives and look ‘normal’! My thoughts are well it could be alot worse, although there is still no cure for MS the future is a lot brighter now than some one dx 25 years ago. I could not take my son to school in July, due to mobility issues and poor vision which ment I could not drive. Asked a friend to take him, and said I would sort out school bus for Sept, she said don’t be silly, I drive past everyday. Ut guess what I can now take him to school! Take care and good luck

Well yes and no really; yes in respect of one lovely lady on here has been waiting 14 years and she still has not been diagnosed.

No in respect of is early diagnosis going to make a difference. The lurgy will run its own course; there are drugs that will help with any symptoms and DMDs that may reduce the number and severity of attacks but where your doctor says you have a small lesion; this is one instance where size is unimportant; it is the position of the lesion

MS still cause and cure unknown but medical science is making so much headway that I will stick my head out and say the only thing you need to worry about is what colour hat you are going to wear at your children’s wedding.

Glad the LP went OK.

George

Thank u for ur advice and quick response. I have been lurking in here awhile and see everyone supports each other. But today was my fisrt post and it’s good to c I’m not alone and we all have our food and bad days

I’m amending my statement a little; of course early diagnosis is better to get you on any treatment. This relies on you having another attack though separated in time and space.

In time: there must be at least 24 hours between attacks. In space: you must have another lesion in a different place than the thing on your brain.

At present you have a Clinical Isolated Syndrome; and perhaps that’s all your have.

George

I believe it’s at least 30 days between attacks - but they must last more than 24 hrs.

Two (or more) attacks within 30 days would be counted as part of the same episode.

Tina

Hello, and welcome to the site

Can MS be caught early? Yes, it can, but unfortunately it doesn’t make a lot of difference to treatment in the UK. Early MS and Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) are treated aggressively in the US, for example, which reduces the number of people who go on to get full MS and more aggressive MS, but not here (as yet anyway). In the UK, you need to have MS and to have had at least two “clinical significant” (for that read disabling or debilitating) attacks in two years to get any disease modifying treatment.

The good news is that your symptoms are sensory and you recovered well - both of these things suggest a good prognosis. The other good news is that MS is usually nowhere near as bad as people tend to imagine - most of us don’t use wheelchairs and most of us live really quite normal lives. So, although the words “multiple sclerosis” are very scary, the truth is that it really is not the end of the world. Life might be different, but it can still be good!

Karen x