Can you induce a relapse?

I read something recently that made me think about this.

I’ve read that certain things can exacerbate symptoms or cause a flare-up.

Things such as: heat, hot baths/showers, hot/humid weather, excessive exercise, stress, being over-worked etc.

We know smoking is not good for MS (or anything really).

We read that a poor diet is not good for MS either, especially things like gluten, bla,bla, bla.

If all these things can cause th return of symptoms can they also cause a relapse?

If you smoked 60 fags a day, ate fry-ups all day long and did some extreme exercise, could you then induce a relapse? …Or is does it not work like that?

Is it more the case that you can make things worse by doing the things that can cause another attack but not actually inducing a new attack/relapse?

Obviously no one wants to cause a relapse on purpose and try to do things to minimise relapses.

Hmmm, I should just go to bed and stop thinking!

I’m not sure Mandy but I think you judt answered your own question, but it is relevevent. That one is for.the experts. Frank xx

I’m not sure Mandy but I think you judt answered your own question, but it is relevevent. That one is for.the experts. Frank xx

I’m not sure Mandy but I think you just answered your own question, but it is relevevent. That one is for.the experts. Frank xx

I’m not sure Mandy but I think you just answered your own question, but it is relevevent. That one is for.the experts. Frank xx

Sorry about tthat last replies I was having problrms with the server or isp not sure which. Coincidentaly there is a new.post on relapse criteria which is relevant. ((hugs)). Frank.

One of the first things I asked my neuro following diagnosis was will I do anything that will make it worse, and he said “no”,

Diet and lifestyle will probably keep you fitter for longer and help keep other illnesses at bay. A really bad diet, no exercise and 60 fags a day is not going to do anyone any good.

Open Door archive | MS Trust This is quote good from the MS Trust regarding relapse Mike

Hi,

Heat like hot weather,baths dont cause relapses , however neurologist said smoking was shown to speed up the progression of ms and make it worse. Saying that my friend has ms smokes like a trooper, in fact she has had ms for years but is still able to walk long distances, hasnt had a relapse even under stress so who knows.

Thanks for replies.

Frank…who is Mandy? LOL!

Sorry about the name thing, I’m a bit puddled sometimes. Frank

Don’t worry Fred :wink: