Forum

Bummer TM for me.

Hi,

Just wanted to pop my head in and say hi,

obviously not on a good note been hit with TM.

Ill fill you in woke about 5 weeks with weird feeling in my leg rhs, got downstairs spewing up rushed out the door

whilst in the van noticed the rhs of my body was completely shot couldn’t feel anything.

went to docs that afternoon said “you must have bumped my head painkillers off you pop next”.

back 2 days later in worse pain threw the painkillers in the bin knew i never bumped anything.

upon further diagnosis now they are saying could have been a stroke what??

forgot i had bupa through my work got seen that day never said much got a mri couple of days later

by this point walking was now becoming hard with pain…

well back for the results you’ve got 2 lesions on the brain 1 on spinal cord eh??

ok so how do i get this pain out my body and bring some of the feelings back? not really taking in what he just said my thinking is it will go away.

So probably still sinking in really… they gave steroids for a week didn’t feel that great on them struggled about still in pain discomfort walking was weak. Two days after coming off them bang crazy pain from my toe to my ear couldn’t move bed all day, next day i thought my arm was away couldn’t operate it scary stuff. Since my meds ive now on a daily basis been in guaranteed to be in some sort of pain/discomfort could be arm leg both face gets is aswell my hand never been the same tbh its constantly ringing feeling, burning right up back, my foot has cramp ness today.

so seriously what is going on here does this better this illness does it go away? Please help lol. what do the meds do, do they cure this im getting conflicting answers some say the illness isn’t curable the meds are only masking they symptoms. Am at my terrors now with it 5 weeks in im no further forward, dont know what to do with myself lol

Ive bounced back from broken bones in jig time compared to this im no stranger to a bit of pain, but 24/7 out of my breath walking to the end of driveway ? symptoms revolving like a carousel.

Surely theres a granny med out there drink hot chocolate on a full moon type of idea lol.

Oh im Paul 34 yr old if anyone has any tips that would be great. ive been told to take painkillers every day now surely that cant be right? just been taking them as and when really even thats a worry for me.

speak soon…

Your right mate; TM is a bummer. The difference I can see between TM and MS is that TM is bilateral; it affects both sides of the body. MS is predominately affecting one side of the body at first. Also the speed that TM attacks, literally just a few hours you can go from normal; whatever normal is; to requiring aids for walking; feeling really unwell. MS invariably comes on slow; in fact it can take many years for some learned person to diagnose.

The good news is about one-third of sufferers have a complete recovery; takes about 6 months. See https://www.brainandspine.org.uk/recovery-from-transverse-myelitis

Don’t go Googling, there’s a lot of fighting untruths out there.

George

1 Like

Hot chocolate on a full moon is always worth a try, in my opinion.

Seriously though, I am sorry that you are having such a horrible time. I hope that the steroids get to work very soon and calm things down for you - they are good at damping down the inflammation that is at the heart of the trouble, and making you recover faster from an acute MS relapse. They’re not perfect, but they are powerful drugs and I hope they help you soon.

Painkillers. The sort of pain that MS can cause all by itself - neuropathic pain - sometimes ignores garden-variety painkillers like ibuprofen and paracetamol, and even the stronger stuff that you can get on prescripton and that works in a similar way - codeine and so on. The good news is that there are some other drugs that do a much better job of managing MS pain. There’s good stuff about this if you look at 'what is MS? orange tabs at the top of the page - that will take you to the main part of this MS Society site - a wonderful resource for up-to-date and reliable information about MS and what a person can do about it. There is a good section on pain - what causes it and how best to manage it. Please do have a look if you haven’t already.

You’ve had an awful shock to the system. Everything feels easier to cope with when a person is starting to feel better again - nothing like it for steadying the ship. I hope that this happens for you very soon, so you can stand back and take stock without being in the thick of MS trouble as you are just now.

GOod luck.

Alison

hi George, Alison Thanks for your reply’s and yes my symptoms are only one side of my body right side, left is perfect still. thanks for the painkillers advice ill take a look at that section. I’m just taking regular paracetamol but I feel I would be better sticking my head out the window like a dog in a car for a better relief at times. Got lumbar puncture in a fortnight sounds pleasant :slight_smile: from reading up I do seem to show more signs of MS than anything but doc needs bloods etc and another scan. was actually ok today foot was a bit sore but no painkillers at least. Thanks again for replying gonna go take a look at these sections now…

1 Like

Hi Geeman,

The actual procedure of an LP is not painful; in fact, the only thing you feel is a scratch when the anaesthetic goes in. The actual removal of fluid is just a feeling of pressure if done properly. I must stress if done properly; do not let anyone practice on you insist on someone who is experienced.

It’s after you MAY get something called ‘the headache from hell.’ To cut down the chances of getting this you should lay flat for at least 3 hours do not even get up to go to the loo; use a pan. Drink at least 2 litres of classic Coke, not diet; it’s the caffeine that aids replenishment of your CNS fluid. Being your drinking a lot take one of those bendy straws otherwise the bed will get more Coke than you. If you want a change of drink very strong coffee.

These things will drastically reduce your chances of getting a headache that could last about 8 days. If you have a couple of days off work and rest if you do not get the headache, if you do 10 days off work.

If the headache lasts more than 10 days you could need a blood patch; especially if there’s a wet patch on the bed in the area of the spine after a nights sleep; this is rare.

Good luck.

George

hi George, Thanks for the reply a 8 day headache wow lol ill definitely take your tips on-board screenshotted lol. I’ve not been near my job the now with this crap the now, my jobs too physical for me, ladders drills stress can be doing without it all at the mo… Thanks again george

A majority do not get a headache.