Forum

Budget

Well, today’s the day. I see the Tories are hinting at cutting the welfare bill over a longer period. Here’s hoping that’s true and that the stuff he announces today won’t affect us all too much.

Gary

You are obviously a naturally “glass half full” person which is fantastic but I really don’t think that this will make the slightest bit of difference to the pain to come.

If I was cynical (which heaven forbid I should be ) this has resulted from the International Money Market experts warning that “too much - too quickly” might cause the economy to stall. Think of it as braking a tiny bit more gently rather than jamming the brakes on as hard as possible and risking the airbags activating.

If I was VERY cynical (which , of course, I definitely am) I would suggest that a depleted Civil Service (and its rubbish IT systems) wouldn’t be able to get everything done in such a tight timetable. Mr Osborne and his Treasury political wonks won’t want to risk the bad publicity of “Treasury fails to meet its targets” headlines past the mid way point of a government term.

It’s still going to be the same pain just delivered more efficiently

2 Likes

Agree with you on all that. I still think we will be shafted from all directions but hopefully not all at once. I put a post on a couple of weeks ago with information I had been given from a friend in the Treasury but even he said he is unsure as to what Osborne has changed. One thing for sure is that it will be painful for all of us. It seems that the “we” who are all in it together is only a reference to those who don’t have all the tools to fight back. Ergo, we are the “we” who will have to suffer the biggest losses.

I agree, Boblatina and Hopeful. The ‘we’ at the top end will enjoy more tax breaks whilst the ‘we’ at the bottom end can expect more cuts to services and benefits whilst receiving little to no pay rises. I don’t believe he has any intention of going after the big tax avoiders and bankers that are the real problem … I have come to hate the word ‘austerity’.

Interesting articles in the Guardian today concerning our corporate welfare bill.

1 Like

Well, what do you make of that. Not taxing DLA/PIP and no mention of ESA support group or Contribution based ESA. Bad news for the WRAG, losing around £30 a week is going to be very painful. Call me cynical but I feel a rising in the criteria for getting into the support group on the horizon.

That’s just what people like me and Graham, who’ve yet to be assessed, need

From what I have read online if you are placed in the ESA WRAG it wouldn’t apply to you getting the reduced rate. It will apply to people making a claim from April 2017. This is posted on the Mind website.

http://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/budget-benefit-cut-insulting-and-misguided/#.VZ3JJvkcDVI

Posted on 08/07/2015

It has been revealed in the July Emergency Budget that, from April 2017, anyone making a claim for the disability benefit Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and placed in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) will receive a reduced level of benefit, equal to that of those claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).

Also this on the MS Society website posted 8th July 2015

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/2015/07/emergency-budget-delivers-benefits-blow-disabled-job-seekers

Payment rates cut for some ESA claimants

New ESA claimants who are placed in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG), will get the same rate of payment as those on standard Job Seeker’s Allowance.

People placed in the WRAG are expected to be able to work at some point in the future and to also take steps towards finding employment. This will come into effect on April 2017 and will amount to a reduction of almost £30 a week in income for claimants placed in the WRAG. Existing claimants will not be affected.

One problem could be that if you are in the support group and say, have a 3 year award then any re-application could result in you being placed in the WRAG which would then, technically, be a new claim. Interesting times ahead.

A really good article showing where some of the money really goes. It wouldn’t be so bad if it resulted in increased revenue for the state but it doesn’t. The thing that really gets my goat is that they give these incentives to companies like Amazon who not only avoid tax but don’t pay the majority of their employees a decent wage so therefore they don’t pay huge amounts in National Insurance either . Meanwhile, the unemployed and disabled are labelled as the scroungers.

1 Like

Amazon are now going to pay tax, according to the Daily Mail in May 2015. Which is a move in the right direction.

Yes I agree many companies pay the minimum wage. So they can make big profits. The store Next do this for many employees they pay just £6.50 an hour. Also this in the Guardian about Next warehouse staff. While they made a huge profit of £695 million last year.

Thanks for that, Lenney! This is mainly me looking at worse case scenario stuff anyway, I’d be the worst employee on the planet with my cognitive issues, so it would be idiocy to put me in the WRAG group.

The US Armed Forces have an appropriate acronym … BOHICA

Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

Geoff

The Institute for Fiscal Studies are currently briefing in response to the budget.

The minimum wage announcement won’t “anywhere near compensate in cash terms” for the welfare cuts, he said. People currently on tax credits will be “significantly worse off” and the reform would cost 3m families an average of £5,000 per year each.

Well there’s a shock.

1 Like

Hello to all you lovely folk, hope you are all as well as can be. Yet again I would like to ask your advice. I am meeting with my ms nurse for the first time in 6 years to discuss dmds. I have finally seen sense and am thinking starting dmds is the best for me, although I will talk it over properly when I meet her. My ms has been mild since diagnosis 2009 and I know I am very very lucky/fortunate for that as I cared for mum who had very progressive ms and know how ms can be for some. I think I have been mulling things over in my mind and have been now convinced I should start. The nurse said I was eligible for teficedra/aubagio not sure which to go for.

Thanks guys xxx

OOPS posted in wrong place SORRY X