breakdown

M.S. is always regarded as a physical illness and any mental health issues such as depression/anxiety etc put down as being a result of having and living with m.s. - nothing to do directly with the m.s.

Having had a horrendous week - severe depression - not wanting to get out of bed - not wanting to go out etc I wondered if this mental state could be due to some actual physical ‘brain problem’

Could we have actual problems (lesions?) in the mental part of the brain?

1 Like

hiya

yes-my neuro showed the affected areas on my mri which confirmed (for him) why i was feeling the way i was. paranoia, emotional lability for example. it was hard cos still had enough insight to know it wasnt true.

ellie

[quote=“chocorange”]

hiya

yes-my neuro showed the affected areas on my mri which confirmed (for him) why i was feeling the way i was. paranoia, emotional lability for example. it was hard cos still had enough insight to know it wasnt true.

ellie

[/quote] confused here! are you saying the emotional lability etc you experienced was not due directly to m.s.?

1 Like

hiya

it is caused by the plaques on the brain. neuro said i have got many plaques-i saw them on the mri-the white areas were glowing in a cauliflower shape and under one of the white areas was the mood controlling bit. as i say thats just the terms as i understood it. i was able to describe what i was seeing/feeling and he said that made sense to him-looking at my mri.

we have touched on this before i think. i am not and never have been depressed since diagnosis-your original words mentioned this. generally i am happy despite my diagnosis. i am not depressed because i have ms. i did have post natal depression-twice many years ago, long before ms diagnosis.

one day at a time-and a label doesnt define me-thanks to stephen hawking for that wee gem!

ellie