Forum

Bladder tip

For years, I’ve had a very unreliable bladder which results in both frequency and urgency issues. Also my legs ain’t the best which doesn’t help with the urgency.

one thing I’ve found that works most times, is to do a countdown every time I take a step with the right leg. I try and make sure that I arrive at the loo and I’m ready for action, by the time the countdown reaches about 15. Remarkably this seems to help most of the time and I find myself peeing in the loo and not peeing myself. Doesn’t work all of the time, but most of the time.

you’ve got to take small victories with the MS mullarkey!

Derek

1 Like

I know that feeling very well, Derek.

I try my best to anticipate when I am likely to need a wee and get to the loo before catastrophe sets in, if possible. When I do need to go I get very little warning hence my need to be near a loo as much as possible. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but if I sit on the loo before the urgency is too great, and then massage my lower abdomen, this stimulates a wee. Sorry if this is too much information, but it works for me. As my legs are also weak, I always sit down to pee. If I don’t get any sensation then I time the intervals between peeing.

I do take 7.5mgs of Darifenacin every morning and that does help to suppress the urgency but it is not foolproof by any means. Whenever I leave the house I wear disposable underpants (nappy style) for added precaution. Who said that MS was not sexy.

Alun

1 Like

hi

i sit on the loo pee my best and then i rock back and forward (lucky they havent taken me away!) and that usually prompts a bit more.

carole x

Sorry

didnt mean anon. I meant external continence devise with leg bag. Its good for urgency when out to manage

accidents.

paul

Yep Derek…every success is one less accident.

A trick I used before I lost me legs, when trying urgently to get out of wheelie and onto loo, was to say out loud straight legs, straight legs. It worked for a while!

pollx

Alun,

I also sit down to pee. My legs occasionally collapse, so I don’t want to be standing up in mid stream when this happens.

Also, I make sure I know (or try and find out) where all the loos are before I go anywhere. Maybe I should write a book “The A to Z of the Loos of Britain”. I’m sure it would be a best seller.

Derek