Forum

Biotin & hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar)

Hi gang, gosh it’s been ages since I’ve been on here and I apologise. Life has changed so radically for me and I have been somewhat busy & distracted. It’s so good to see you all on here and I wonder how I’ve stayed away for so long!

As some of you might remember, I had a great improvement in my MS symptoms, following breast cancer treatment, losing 3 stone in weight and taking high-dose Biotin which I started in January 2017.

But have run into a problem. Things haven’t been so good since around Christmas. My fatigue came back very badly and I haven’t been doing as well as I was… BUT my mobility is still brilliant so I’m not complaining!

A couple of months ago, out with a friend, she said she thought I had a blood sugar problem. She’d noticed me ‘going down’ and then eating something and coming ‘up’ again. Have to say I thought she was talking nonsense.

Then Lent came along and I was semi-fasting… still eating 3 meals a day but not snacking and also eating smaller portions. Soon became apparent that my energy was dipping badly and the only way to deal with it was to eat something sweet… one evening so bad that I was eating jam straight off the spoon.

Went to GP’s and she thinks it’s hypoglycaemia… which is low blood sugar. I posted on the Facebook Biotin page and the woman who runs the site posted a link to an article about how Biotin can actually interfere with the glucose the liver makes… and can cause… you’ve guessed it … hypoglycaemia.

Had blood tests yesterday … after a week off Biotin so it wouldn’t effect the results… and will stay off it until I get results. What then? Bit of a dilemma. I’ll have to wait and see. I seem to be feeling lots better since I stopped the Biotin (9 days now).

Has anyone else suffered anything similar? Anyone have any information?

I’ll let you know what the blood results are and if I decide to take a ‘Biotin break’ and see what happens. IF my mobility starts to get bad again I’ll have to work something out!!!

Sending you all my love and hoping everyone is doing ok,

Pat xxx

2 Likes

Just wanted to say hi Pat. So lovely to see you back on here. Hope you are doing well after yr cancer treatment. Good luck with the above. Love Anne

2 Likes

Hi Pat,

sorry, no idea but had to say hello! Good to hear you’re ok

I hope you’ll let us know what you find out. I’ve not started biotin yet but intend to soon.

Sonia x

2 Likes

Hi Pat,

sorry, no idea but had to say hello! Good to hear you’re ok

I hope you’ll let us know what you find out. I’ve not started biotin yet but intend to soon.

Sonia x

1 Like

Hello Snow leopard Pat , it’s so lovely to see you on here again . Ive really missed you . You were one of the first people I had messages from when I first joined four years ago. How is your new brother? And are you still going to your church ? My beliefs are a big part of my life too. I hope you are well Pat it’s a shame that the fatigue has hot you hard maybe we will all feel better when the weather pcks up . Michelle and Frazer xx

1 Like

Hi Michelle,

Great to see you are still on here. My brother Peter is doing really well. Managed to get him rehoused into sheltered housing. Really nice and SAFE flat. He’s very happy there. In process of applying for PIP for him.

Yes still very involved with the church! I do bible readings in church now and also on the intercession prayers rota, so I write and say the prayers every month or so. Also helping with the newsletter AND start teaching Sunday School this week!

So you can see one of the reasons why I haven’t been on here. It’s all a bit exhausting to say the least but I do so love it. It’s worth it! But it shows my fatigue isn’t nearly as bad as it was. Even this time last year I couldn’t have managed a tiny bit of what I do now. My faith has opened up a whole new world for me!

Dickie is doing great bless him. Still as high-maintenance as ever… but not his fault poor thing… he had such a rough start.

Hope you and Frazer are doing well?

Lots of love… and will come on more often… promise!

Pat xxx

2 Likes

Great to see you on here Sonia!

Lots of love,

Pat xxx

3 Likes

Hi Anne,

Doing well thanks!

Go for mammogram later this month but I think all is ok. It’s been 2 year since diagnosis… unbelievable!

Hope you’re doing well,

Lots of love,

Pat xx

2 Likes

Hi Pat

So pleased to hear from you and to know that your life has improved for the better, apart from the low blood sugar, let’s hope it can be easily rectified. If it does turn out to be the biotin that caused it, perhaps taking a lower dose might do the trick.

Congratulations for loosing weight, well done, did you follow a diet or smaller portions size?

Love to both you and Dickie.

Pam x

2 Likes

How I have missed thee! It simply is not the same without you. I don’t have any emojis but if I had they would include a heart and a cool group! Take care be safe love, M

2 Likes

Hi Pam,

Lovely to hear from you. Hope you are doing ok?

I lost weight by stopping eating like every day was Christmas Day! Yes smaller portions and not as many treats… although of course some treats!

Lots of love,

Pat xxx

3 Likes

Hi M, how lovely of you! Well I’m back now… and really happy to see you on here.

You still don’t have emojis? Gosh that goes back a while! Hey ho… I can see your smile anyway .

Lots of love,

Pat xxx

2 Likes

you just have to mention ‘them’ and hey presto I have missed you so but never gave up completely on our forum.

Take care, be safe lots of M xxx

3 Likes

Hi pat, I have type 1 diabetes so obviously test my blood sugars quite a few times during the day and can say that biotin didn’t have any noticeable affect on my blood sugars. It did mess up my thyroid function test big time though. Instead of eating lots of sugary stuff which will raise and drop your sugar levels like a bomb perhaps try eating more protein and higher fibre foods so you have a more even and prolonged benefit on your blood sugars.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant Pat , your brother Peter must be so happy, but you know it’s probably helped you too . You know what it says about finding happiness in helping others …more happiness in giving than receiving. I’m like you my belief helps me, I’m a Jehovah’s Witness, every Saturday myself and Frazer go on the litature cart near the Park. I usually go with Ann she’s from my church , she lost her only daughter a few years ago, i try to look out for her and her husband, and she’s like a mum to me . We have got very close it helps me as much as her. I hope we see a bit more of you Pat but I understand that you are so busy, I’ve really missed you, your messages were always so positive, I bet you’ve helped more people on here than you know. Take care Love Michelle and Frazer xx

1 Like

Thanks Horsemad (love the name!) for reply.

Yes got a proper telling off from practice nurse for managing it with sugar!!! She said I could flip myself over into diabetes. She said to use ‘complex carbs’ to snack on. I’m finding bananas (amazing help!) and falafel both help, pasta, rice etc. So far not putting on weight but I’m watching that as I’m determined not to after losing 3 stone.

I get so hungry at times I could kill for food… but apparently that’s one of the symptoms.

Anyway I get blood results next Monday and will take it from there.

Thanks and take care,

Love Pat xxx

1 Like

[quote=“Snow Leopard”]

Thanks Horsemad (love the name!) for reply.

Yes got a proper telling off from practice nurse for managing it with sugar!!! She said I could flip myself over into diabetes. She said to use ‘complex carbs’ to snack on. I’m finding bananas (amazing help!) and falafel both help, pasta, rice etc. So far not putting on weight but I’m watching that as I’m determined not to after losing 3 stone.

I get so hungry at times I could kill for food… but apparently that’s one of the symptoms.

Anyway I get blood results next Monday and will take it from there.

Thanks and take care,

Love Pat xxx

[/quote] Basically your nurse has told you to overload on carbs and that is the worst thing you can do carbs just turn into sugar so look to things like nuts meat fish. Banana is fine as long as they are not ripe the riper they are the higher the sugar content. Burgen soya and linseed bread is very good as well as less carbs a slice.

1 Like

As you obviously know so much more than a nurse can I assume you are a Dr?

2 Likes

Hi Horsemad, I have done the internet research too. Complex carbs are the best way to manage hypoglycaemia… and have to say I feel much better by managing it with the diet the nurse gave me.

Hypoglycaemia is not diabetes. Complex carbs do indeed become sugar but slow-release sugar (unlike eating sugar) and keeps the blood sugar levels up above 4 mml where they should be.

In diabetes low blood sugar is ‘reactive hypoglycaemia’ which needs to managed differently.

Pat x

1 Like

Good advice Pat , I don’t think you are a doctor Pat but we appreciate your advice. Perhaps if you are concerned by any advice on here Anon you could go to your GP . It’s good to have you back Pat i always appreciate your messages . Michelle and Frazer xx

3 Likes