Forum

'Balloon Legs' and 'Sloshy Foot'....

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping that you may be able to put my mind at rest. There are a couple of recurring symptoms that I have and cannot make sense of and I’ve received no explanation to date. Can anyone identify and assure me that I am not going completely mad.

1. I call it ‘Balloon Legs’

Leg muscles (calves imparticular) become extremely painful when I first try and stand up. Legs may also feel like they are throbbing. It is difficult and painful to straighten legs. It almost feels as if muscles are filling up with excess blood and ripping apart as a result. The issues subside with mobilization.

1. I call it ‘Sloshy Foot’

I get intense pain across the top of my foot which follows the couse of a vein across my bones. It feels as if the vein is going to explode and also that my foot is swollen with blood sloshing around out of control. Toes may also feel numb. It’s a really really horrid sensation. The feelings remain even when I remove footwear and socks.

Am I alone?

Thanks peeps

I don’t get quite what you describe, but I do get OVERSTUFFED SAUSAGE LEGS.

This feels as though the legs themselves have doubled in volume, but the skin has remained the same size and is now stretched to bursting in all directions. I would not describe it as painful, just unpleasant and weird.

Alison

x

Hi Gremlin,

I think your problems may be similar to mine, and related to spasticity. My calf muscles are very short, tight and painful - especially first thing in the morning.

I have also been having pain along the tops of my feet for several years - way before diagnosis.

None of this is actually vascular, but I can understand the perception that it might be.

I only found out for sure it was spasticity when I started taking anti-spasticity medication (Baclofen) and this eased it.

Recently, I started finding the tops of my feet were getting very sore again, by late afternoon/early evening, so I had a word with my doctor, and increased my Baclofen. This has again taken the edge off.

I also do stretching exercises, although I’ve found their effectiveness quite limited, compared to the medication. I think, if I was relying on stretches alone - no pills - I’d be in quite a sorry state.

Tina

My legs are swollen as are my feet, I cannot walk without slippers or shoes on as it is to painful

Janet x

my calves are painful,and the pain across my feet are sore and swollen.I take baclofen 20mg,and did wonder if i should increase it (i wont till i spoken to ms nurse) I now have limited movement in my toes,try to do exercises but it is painful kim

my calves are painful,and the pain across my feet are sore and swollen.I take baclofen 20mg,and did wonder if i should increase it (i wont till i spoken to ms nurse) I now have limited movement in my toes,try to do exercises but it is painful kim

Baclofen won’t do anything for swelling. You should maybe get this investigated, in case it has nothing to do with MS.

20mg Baclofen is still a fairly small dose, though. I take that three times a day.

It might have been good to start your own topic, instead of dredging up an old one, from a poster who hasn’t been seen for months.

Tina

x