Anybody experienced Pregnancy and Labor with active symptoms????

Just wondering if there are any women out there who have been through pregnancy and labour whilst having a relapse?

I am currently still classed as ‘isolated syndrome’ (with abnormal mri) but have been through this pregnancy so far with numbness/tingling/odd sensations from the waist to my toes, and bad balance and stagggering.

Wondering if anyone else has any experience of how labour and pain affected their symptoms and if they coped giving birth ok or needed intervention??

I don’t know about the active symptoms bit, but there are studies of MS and pregnancy and labour which say that babies are possibly a wee bit smaller, but absolutely fine and that there is only a small increase in the use of things like forceps. So the evidence suggests that everything should be fine. Most birth plans go to pot anyway though, so best prepared to be flexible! Good luck :slight_smile: Karen x PS I’m pretty sure there was a post about cesareans/labour the other day - if you search for it, it’ll give you more info from women who have given birth post dx (my two were pre dx).

I don’t know about the active symptoms bit, but there are studies of MS and pregnancy and labour which say that babies are possibly a wee bit smaller, but absolutely fine and that there is only a small increase in the use of things like forceps. So the evidence suggests that everything should be fine. Most birth plans go to pot anyway though, so best prepared to be flexible! Good luck :slight_smile: Karen x PS I’m pretty sure there was a post about cesareans/labour the other day - if you search for it, it’ll give you more info from women who have given birth post dx (my two were pre dx).

My main issue is Im a first timer at birth too, so Im wondering how the Ataxia (i think thats what its called - staggering/balance issue) is going to be when Im in labour. Especially as I cant even lift my right leg up very well under normal circumstances… Oh well, guess I’ll find out soon lol

Unless someone’s decided on an “active birth” (or whatever it’s called!), most women spend most of the time lying down during labour, so no walking required :slight_smile: It’s actually probably better to have weak muscles too - I remember being told that dancers and athletes usually had the worst labours because they had the strongest muscles.

The best advice I was given pre labour was “Your body knows what it’s doing. Trust it.” No point in thinking about it too much or trying to control things - just let your body do what it has to do, trust the midwife and scream at hubby as much as you like (:-)). At one point during my second labour I had my hubby’s hair firmly gripped in my left hand and was pulling so hard his head was on my chest - he forgave me :slight_smile:

You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

It’s afterwards that the real work begins - a whole lifetime of it!

Kx

Its all exciting!

Hello,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had my worst relapse so far in the first few weeks of being pregnant with my second son (now 8mths) whether it was just coincidence or pregnancy triggered it I will never know. I also had sensory problems and problems with my balance. For me the relapse followed pretty much the same course as the others so lasted around 10 weeks (apart from the numness in my forehead which i think is now permanent) After that i have been as well as I have been since my diagnosis 2yrs ago. I cant help you with the labour bit as i had recovered by then but just for the record my second labour (I had my first son before diagnosis) was fab, 3hrs from start to finish. I did smile with the earlier post saying babies may be smaller - both my boys were 9lb 4oz lol. Good luck x

LOL @ anonymous… imagine he could have been an 11 pounder YOWCH…

Well I got official MS diagnosis today, so antenatal people will be paying extra attention to everything npow, especially as neuro seems eager to start treatment quickly, and Ive already been prescribed oral steroids, which Ive been assured wont harm my baby! So I guess the real journey begins here!! Im positive about it though, cause lets face it… it could be much worse!!

Hi ya, congratulations on pregnancy, bummer about beings diagnosed tho. Ref ur balance/Labour question. I would highly recommend a water birth. Great all round and u r in water so no balance worries. When r u due? X

Hey chopper, I’m due 22nd feb. I thought about water birth but don’t feel sure about it, think if I mentally prepared for it and pool wasn’t available it may just stress me out a little. My steadiness has worsened slightly too and I’m tiring a lot quicker, just started my first steroid treatment and do. Wants to start a long term treatment after birth. So will be discussing with my doc about maybe inducing a little early (without c sect) as I’m nearly considered to term anyway and the steroids help babies lungs to mature earlier too! Not a def but an option. X