Anxiety root cause

Having returned to work this week following a period off (combination of holiday and sickness absence due to current relapse) I have found myself experiencing significant brain fog and anxiety.

My understanding is that this could be either a direct cause of MS activity impacting those parts of the brain, or indirect, i.e. anxiety coming from a living with an unpredictable disease and specifically the minimal recovery from the current relapse.

Well today, out of desperation I took a very small dose of benzodiazepenes to try and help me through the day. The difference is startling and today I have been far less anxious, far less tired, far less brain foggy, and far more productive. In my uneducated opinion the fact that the benzos change things so drastically suggests that the anxiety was primarily an indirect response to living with MS rather than related directly to MS disease activity. And that the brain fog and fatigue were related to the anxiety and poor sleeping. Does anyone have any experience or views on this?

1 Like

My guess is that you’re quite right. As I understand it, changes in mental states primarily caused by MS brain damage can happen, but it’s relatively rare and usually associated with advanced disease, whereas secondary anxiety in the MS population is rampant!

Careful with those benzos, though. The ‘immediately feeling better’ thing is dangerously seductive and their chemical habit-forming properties are powerful. MS anxiety can’t be safely managed long-term that way, but I’m sure you know that.

2 Likes

Thanks Alison that’s helpful. And yes I’m aware that I need to be careful with the benzos and it’s a short term fix, but appreciate the reminder also.

2 Likes

Yep. It was an informative experiment, though! If you find something that really does do the trick long term, please do let me know…

1 Like

I did start citralopram last week but quit after 3 days due to side effects. I’m planning to give that another go one I’m settled on to new ms meds. Didn’t fancy taking on new meds at same time as getting used to citralopram

1 Like

I’ve decided to give citalopram another go. Day 2 and all ok so far. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

hi - how’s it going for you? thanks for any update

1 Like