Altered sensation right foot.

Here is an odd thing which recently started with me a couple of weeks ago.

I can be standing barefoot (like I normally do at home) on a hard surface, eg tiles on kitchen floor.

My left foot feels normal, but my right foot, sometimes it feels like it is on a soft squishy warm surface.

No pain or anything but it certainly feels odd.

I’m still in the diagnosis limbo zone.

Could be peripheral neuropathy - many causes of that. Or could be more centrally caused. One to mention to the neurologist when you see him.

I do have permanent pins and needles in both feet. Often I can’t tell the difference between that and if my feet are going dead from the cold, as I have poor circulation too. As it is in both feet and I’ve had it many years, I can’t now say what a ‘normal’ foot feels like, but I guess the pins and needles could perhaps be described as soft, squishy when it is not too needley!

For about a year I had a ‘slipping on ice’ sensation in one of my feet, but only when wearing shoes. It happened on smooth or wet or sloping surfaces. Neurologists tend to look at people who describe that sensation rather strangely, but it is not that uncommon. After some time I realised that it was a fault with proprioception. My brain was sensing my foot was slipping (but actually just my foot arch slipping in my shoe) and prioritising that, but there was a delay from other parts of my foot / leg or brain motion sensors to feedback that my leg (shoe on the ground) wasn’t actually slipping. Quite disconcerting! I ended up having to walk on tiptoe on that foot when on slippy surfaces. Even when I could see I was about to walk on slippery surfaces I couldn’t override it. It made me realise how much our brain works on the quiet, assessing dangers and being ready for them - in this case my brain was subconciously aware of approaching slippery surfaces and alert to sensations of slipping - and that works faster than our conscous brain can over-ride it!

Bit by bit it improved. I think my brain computing power gradually reset the balance between the sensory inputs - downplayed the slipping foot sensation from my foot arch and upgraded the others. A bit like how our brain turns our sight to register up is up as the image on our retina is actually inverted!