Alinker Walking Bike

Update:- they had two Alinkers at the RAF Museum - both the same size (not sure which one) and one of the security/reception guys at the entrance (who really were doing bag checks) showed us how to raise and lower the seat but didn’t seem to know much about it.

There was a display with some information about it. It looks like they were donated by the firm in Scotland that was (but isn’t now) distributing them with something saying that if you bought one they would donate £100 to the RAF charity. I think the price shown was around £2,000!

Very disappointing experience - I guess if you get it from a proper supplier and they adjust the seat properly for you it might be better - the seat was at the wrong angle I think. But I found it very uncomfortable on the saddle and couldn’t really go anywhere with it. We were sitting down looking at video clips on our phones to see what we were doing wrong!

So we just went round one of the hangars which has a new exhibition based on the RAF’s 100th anniversary in 2018. Actually very good. I was using my walking pole as usual then we had lunch and I was shattered so came home and I had a rest.

In a way I was relieved that it wasn’t a positive experience, as if it had been a really good one I would have been obsessed with working out how we could justify the expense!

If TillyT still comes on this forum I’d be interested to know how it all worked out I’d also be interested to know if anyone else bought one.

Maybe I’ll look at the Liberty Trike thing.

Louise

Why not get a local bike shop to take pedal chain etc off a bike. Or look for a balance bike halfords have a good range. I’m only 5ft so a 12-13 year old would do for me lol https://www.halfords.com/kids-zone/kids-bikes/kids-bikes/voodoo-lil-sam-balance-bike-12-wheel

According to this site the UK distributor is a company called Pyxis .

Not sure how old that link is though ?

£1250 + VAT

However VAT is discounted for certain disabilities, and I believe MS is one of those disabilities that is exempt from VAT for such aids.

Pyxis was the firm in Scotland which donated the Alinkers to the RF Museum. I think that Pyxis is the company that fell foul of Brexit, according to Barbara Alinker. The link doesn’t work any more.

Tilly 2 - you are very game to do something like that with a kid’s bike! Unfortunately I’m neither short enough nor light enough to contemplate it.

I found the bike seat very uncomfortable!