Forum

Alcohol and copaxone

Due to start on copaxone tomorrow but wud like a glass of wine with my dinner - is this ok?

Not sure about the alcohol but good luck ive been on it a week and its been fine, sending hugs x

Well … … it all depends on the size of the glass!

Seriously, I am into my third year with Copaxone, and I have a glass of (usually) red about 4 times a week. Enjoy.

Geoff

I do not know the official answer and can only refer to my personal experience of 10 years of weekly Avonex injections. I did these last thing on a Thursday night and, looking back, must admit that completely sober Avonex nights were few and far between. Good luck with the Copaxone. Alison

Hi kel,

I used to be on copaxone and I enjoyed my glass of wine some evenings, just as before it, no change.

I would say though, so as you don’t mess up the actual administration of the injection, don’t drink the wine till after you’ve stuck the needle in! :slight_smile:

Good Luck with it

Jools

X

Hey Alison,

I was just replying to Kel’s post there re copaxone.

I’m expecting to start Aonex soon and thought that alcohol was going to become a few and far between thing for me going forward and def not on actual injection days due to the need to take painkillers and flu like side effects…??

Jools

X

I am on copaxone and have the occasional glass or two of wine-no probs infact my nurse said it was ok to drink when on copaxone in moderation obviously!!! Cathy

When I was on Copaxone and then Rebif I enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine with no problem at all.

Good luck with it.

Shazzie xx

[quote=“Jools68”]

Hey Alison,

I was just replying to Kel’s post there re copaxone.

I’m expecting to start Aonex soon and thought that alcohol was going to become a few and far between thing for me going forward and def not on actual injection days due to the need to take painkillers and flu like side effects…??

Jools

X

[/quote] Avonex did a great job for me for a long time (7+ years) and I hope it suits you too. Don’t worry too much about side effects. A couple of 200mg ibuprofen before going to bed on injection night, and another couple on waking the next morning should do. For me, the important thing was to remember the morning dose, even if I was feeling fine (which I usually was, which is why it was so easy to forget). Prevention is much easier than cure with Avonex side effects. But it is a really good drug, and is only once a week, which I always liked. Alison

Thanks Alison for your reply, I was kinda hyjacking Kel’s post here…sorry Kel!

I’m alergic to Brufen so can’t take Ibuprofen, so I guess I’d opt for Paracetamol.

I also have Fibromyalgia so the whole muscle / joint pain worries me and I’d be doing my injection at the weekend and that is my chill and wee glass of wine time…

I’m seeing my MS Nurse on Wednesday

Cheers

Jools

X

Thank u all for yr posts and hi jacking lol let u know how I get on …

Good luck Kel, give it your best, we need all the help we can get, and DMDs do appear to help a lot of folk here!

Jools

X

i felt really, really well on copaxone.

i had to switch to tecfidera because my injection sites were a mess.

i have drunk wine, beer and spirits (not all at the same time) on both copaxone and tec.

suck it and see maybe?

also make sure that you stick to the rotation of injection sites scrupulously

You may feel a little bit you’ve got a cold like bug at first but I still enjoy my tipples, a little bit too much!!! Been on Copaxone 10 years

I was on Copaxone for 5 years. And didn’t have any side effects. I found injecting manually rather than with an autoject device better. I also found that injecting into the fattest part of me (my bum) the easiest of all. I also worked in the city for most of the time I used Copaxone, which meant I drank way more than was good for me. And had no problem.

My problems have come over the last 10 ish years that I’ve not been able to take a DMD.

So relax. Rotate your injection sites. If you get site reactions, try injecting manually. Don’t worry, it’s a titchy little needle. It just goes under the skin. Some people have a bit of flushing. If you get that, don’t panic. It will soon be over. Have a glass of wine or beer if you want. I’m not advocating drinking like a fish, just because I did!

Sue

Hello, all. Now on copaxone for the first time. What are the real pros and cons? Hair loss, depression etc?

Hi

I didn’t have any. But others may have more. Including as Carole said, injection site reactions. But then it used to be a daily injection so ISRs were more likely.

By the way, you may have more responses by starting a new thread. The one you’ve joined in on was originated several years ago and the title of the thread isn’t really very relevant to your post (ie alcohol and Copaxone).

Try beginning your own, hit the New Thread button, give it a relevant title then ask what you want to know. If you give a bit of background, it can help. Such as when you were diagnosed, why you chose Copaxone, etc.

Sue

it depends on how much you put lol